Works in FF but not in IE9, chrome

Dec 8, 2011 at 5:56 PM

So I was racking my brain figuring out what i was doing wrong, when i noticed that in firefox it all works perfectly! (well almost)

In firefox, the problem I am having, is that if you pick a parent item with no children, and then try and change your parent selection, you just get an empty (truncated) box till you reload the page. Otherwise, everything works fine. If the parent has a child, you can switch between parent field items and get the child to change dynamically. The only problem is when you change it to a parent with no children. Then its like the child field errors out and requires a reload of the page.

In chrome, you do not get a child at all, and just get an empty box in the child field. Parent displays fine.

In IE9, you get ALL items as if it was not filtered, no matter what you select in the parent box.

So i am thinking that there are some javascript rendering differences between the different browsers. Any way for me to fix this? I am not a programmer, but if there is an error log or something...

it is sharepoint 2010 and as such, i had to insert your code into another JS file which is called directly from the content web part.

Dec 26, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I'm running into the same problem, did you found a solution yet?

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:18 PM

no i never got it working and abandoned the project.

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:44 PM

If you still need it find a new version here

http://howididit-sharepoint.blogspot.pt/

codecodecodelame will you upload this solution to the project area?

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Yes sir! that does definitely work now!

thanks muchly!

However still doesn't work in IE. Not a big deal, but if you could fix it there as well.... :P

I dont think i can upload projects to the project area. I should also say that in your instructions, you shouldn't use column1 column2 etc.. real names are MUCH easier for me (and i expect others) to understand. I ended up looking back at the original doc by the developer which was quite good to begin with:

Let me explain the new cascadeDropdowns parameters:
ParentDropDownTitle: The display name of the parent lookup field (source for filter)
ChildDropDownTitle: The display name of the child lookup field (the one being filtered)
Child2ParentFieldIntName: The internal name of the lookup field in Child list that is getting values from parent list
ChildListNameOrGuid: The display name or GUID of the child list (from where the child dropdown is getting items)
ChildLookupTargetField: The internal name of the field the child dropdown is displaying values of

The other change, is instead of your step 6 -7 and his step 4 (edit the source code), I find its much easier to make an additional JS file (i called mine spcdcode.js) with your code block. As the GUI window in content editor defaults to taking a link, you simply upload the SPCDcode.js to your app library and then reference it from the content editor web part URL link. Then no messing with source code of pages, which i couldnt figure out how to do in sp 2010 anyways.

Apr 13, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Hey codecodecodelame, what version of IE are you using.

It works on mine, if not the version might be some security settings, I remember that in a previous JS code for another situations I had to mess some settings.

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I suppose it could be, however there is no error. the dialogs are still there, however they do not filter at all. Version is 9.0.8112.16421

update version is 9.0.6

Zone is "local intranet" which is set to what i believe is the default, "medium low". Thats in IE security tab.

I wonder if it makes a difference, referencing the file from the web part or injecting the code right in the page as you have done. I am still unclear how to edit the custom code in a webpart in order to inject it. Unless i just open sharepoint designer, go to the web part area and paste the code in there?

thats the only difference i think between our two methods. I turned JS error reporting on as well and did not get any errors.

I am willing to do tests if you have any ideas about what to try.

Apr 14, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Hmm weird, my security settings are higher then that, mine are at medium not medium low.

I'd like to send you some screenshots of the steps I've done after creating the lists.

PM with your e-mail if you want.